Alcoholic Brain

Hi and thanks for visiting. I have an alcoholic brain. I will try to post comments daily about how this alcoholic brain functions.
Sober date: October 4th, 2004.

My Photo
Name:
Location: West Coast, United States

Monday, October 02, 2006

Till Wednesday...

Seems my sponsor asked me a couple of months ago how much clean time I had (this time again) and I really had to think. A year ago last August first, I went on a three day binge of meth shooting and stopped. But I drank a few times after that. I knew it was two days prior to signing the lease for this apartment. So it looks like a year off alcohol this Wednesday, October 4th. I don't like to future trip any more about that though. I was just thinking of an old story that Father Joseph Martin shared once. He was on a radio talk show up in Alaska about 11:30pm. The topic was alcohol abuse and alcoholism. He tells the story of a young man that called in. The guy says that he usually drinks a six pack of beer after work every day, and on the weekends he says he does a little heavy drinking. Usually more than a case of beer over the weekend. The young man said he has been commended for his job, has a wonderful wife, etc...The man went on for about ten minutes talking about all the good things. Then this guy asks the magic question, "Do you think I am, or could become an alcoholic?"

Martin's response was good. He said "Son, I don't even know you. I wouldn't know you if I fell on you. But I do know this. I like string beans. I eat a lot of them. But I don't call radio stations at 11:30 at night and ask a total stranger if I might have a problem with 'em."


I am grateful for:

  • A HP who loves me

  • AA for giving me tools to live by

  • Being granted the willingness to try

  • Having places to go to hang with other sober drunks

  • Wheels that get me, and others to meetings

  • A roof over my head, food and clothing

  • Finally getting the idea about living one day at a time

  • Being able to say, "I don't know."

  • My 85 year old dad calling and saying "hang in there."

  • A lady who doesn't put me down for crying

  • Giving and getting hugs

  • A sponsor who's cool

  • Quiet time

  • Fall colors, and the ability to see, hear and feel

  • Peace everybody...

2 Comments:

Blogger lash505 said...

I have heard of Father Joseph Martin, but I haven't read anything or listened to any tapes. All is good and I have a cool sponsor too.

11:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great list!

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.