Alcoholic Brain

Hi and thanks for visiting. I have an alcoholic brain. I will try to post comments daily about how this alcoholic brain functions.
Sober date: October 4th, 2004.

My Photo
Name:
Location: West Coast, United States

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Gratitude...

Well, it's 3:30am, Thursday morning. I will try again in a bit to get some sleep. Some of you know that I'm having a pre-op physical exam the 21st, for an operation to correct three vertebrae in my neck. So, I'll probably have the surgery toward the end of this month. Anxiety, besides pain is playing a role in my inability to sleep as well. The woman I live and love with is being discharged from treatment 4 days early due to her progress she has made while there. She has worked very hard there. She went to treatment in a town that is a six hour drive from here, so she may stay a day or two with her brother and his wife. They live there where she is in treatment. The family needs to heal, and this is a great start.

The meeting at 6pm Wednesday night was on "gratitude." There was the usual collective groan that usually appears when the chairperson picks that topic. At first I didn't even want to go there, as I just wasn't feeling very grateful. The neat thing about gratitude meetings is it makes me look at the things that I am grateful for today. Since I have a tendency to sit on the pity throne a lot when in pain, it's a perfect topic for me. My left leg has been bothering me as of late, so I've had to bum some rides lately. Both cars in the driveway are stick shifts, and right now my left leg and right arm are all but useless. But hey, we in AA help each other that's how it works. When I get better, I will do the same for others.

When I got home, I checked the mail, and what a wonderful letter I got from her. She is a lady of few words, but when she says something, she means it. When she writes it, it's even more meaningful. I was feeling pretty good emotionally when I got home, but there's something about her signing off the letter with "Love you, miss you" I just let go and jerked a couple of gratitude tears. I'm such a silly sot. I have a lot to be grateful for and very little of it was any of my doing. That's the neat thing about letting a Higher Power run your life. I'm off the pity pot now, there's only one, and I'm sure someone else needs to sit for a while. Hope you are all doing well, and staying sober, a day at a time...Hang in...

2 Comments:

Blogger butterflygirl said...

I'll keep you in my prayers.

6:08 AM  
Blogger dAAve said...

I'm grateful that you posted.

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.