Alcoholic Brain

Hi and thanks for visiting. I have an alcoholic brain. I will try to post comments daily about how this alcoholic brain functions.
Sober date: October 4th, 2004.

My Photo
Name:
Location: West Coast, United States

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Be still...Know there is God.

The past six months have been very "trying" for me to say the least. My sponsor told me this week that he didn't think I would have lasted this long, living and loving a practicing alcoholic. The key for me is to never take anything an alcoholic says personally. It's hard to do, and sometimes I lose it and let the alcoholic have it verbally. I am doing that less, and less with each passing day. There is this line from the Big Book that catches my eye...

"Try not to condem your alcoholic husband no matter what he does or says. He is just another sick, unreasonable person. Treat him, when you can, as though he had pneumonia. When he angers you, remember that he is very ill." page 108, Alcoholics Anonymous Basic Text.

As long as an alcoholic is breathing, I will never give up hope and say something wonderful like "call me when you are well then I can help." I will never give up on my alcoholic, whether they are still sick, or in the process of getting weller. They are in the process of getting weller, and for that I am grateful, and praying often. It's good for all of us to take time to pray for all alcoholics who are suffering. To me, it is my duty, and responsibility. I must do it freely without malice nor complaint...May you all roll with the punches that life throws. It is all worth it in the long run. We must never lose sight of what could be...

9 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Glad you are still there. I too have been a slacker when it comes to blogging. Don't know why, just not making the time.

MIke

8:36 AM  
Blogger Gooey Munster said...

So amazig how this thing works, and we all are a part of this, whether drunk or sober. Somehow we need one another.

Just think what would happen if the workd were filled w sober people? The Dz, a blessing and a curse no?

11:43 AM  
Blogger dAAve said...

It's good to see you posting.
Thanks.

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pray for my dad he doesn't think he has a problem but he does... my family is falling apart. thanks for writing this blog... God Bless!

9:26 PM  
Blogger Meg Moran said...

yeah it is great to see you posting! and yes my selfish "self" would rather talk to them when they are "better" LOL! but hey, when are we ever really better? Life is right now baby. Love to you AB. I''m adding a link to you on my blog........

11:11 PM  
Blogger MaggieTheArtist said...

Thank you for this post. I've been in recovery 4 yrs now and a very close childhood friend of mine died 2 years ago as an active alcoholic struggling to get well.

His brother, who is very sick with this disease is struggling as well. We went to a f2f meeting Mon night. We'll see. He's done his round of institutions and many have given up on him. Rehab, jail, psych ward, his brother dying, you name it...

Those outside the program really don't get it adn are struggling as well.

Anyway, thanks for the post.
Quite a while ago I found your blog from googling something or another (artually I think it was trying to find info about the alcoholic brain... scientific evidence and such)... and had tagged it. Haven't read a whole lot of it, but every once in a while check in.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Alcoholic Brain said...

Anonymous, I will pray. Maggie, keep coming back. It works!

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

for me it was about changing how I looked at him.(my addict)

Instead of looking at him and seeing all the bad things I changed the way I see him. so now

I look I see a man struggling with an illness.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Mama Dukes said...

I never want to lose hope

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.