Alcoholic Brain

Hi and thanks for visiting. I have an alcoholic brain. I will try to post comments daily about how this alcoholic brain functions.
Sober date: October 4th, 2004.

My Photo
Name:
Location: West Coast, United States

Saturday, August 04, 2007

AA is a better, safer boat...

I recall the hopelessness I felt when I was drinking. It stays fresh in my mind. To me, that's very important. Remembering the neighborhood is critical in my process of staying sober and growing. When drinking, I would often see myself as being in a row boat in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. I would say between drinks, "My boat is so small, and the sea is too big." What AA has done for me is give me a much bigger boat. A boat that is safer for me. The boat in the picture taken the 23rd of last month, is a meeting, and my sponsor, and my friends in the fellowship of AA. The life ring is an extra meeting and helping others. I thank my Creator for blessing me with a bigger, more sea worthy craft. Today I have much to be grateful for:

  • Alcoholics Anonymous.

  • 12 Steps that help me grow.

  • A sponsor I love.

  • A sponsor that pisses me off sometimes.

  • The belief that my Creator does indeed love me.

  • My alcoholic, who has restored my belief in love and commitment, no matter what.

  • My alcoholic, who has taught me that it is more important to give, instead of getting.

  • My family who has always loved me, despite what shame I have brought to them.

  • Skilled surgeons who continue to do repairs on me.

  • Responsibilities, and bills to pay.

  • A nice place to live.

  • Food and water.

  • A big Goldfish, a dog and cats to care for.

  • Being alive, when I should be dead.


God bless you all. Have a fine weekend. Love, AB.

11 Comments:

Blogger Sober @ Sundown said...

Hi AB,

That is a big boat you have!

Hope you are having a great weekend.

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's a great list. I haven't done one in awhile. Maybe my next post.
Thanks for stopping by.

4:51 PM  
Blogger lash505 said...

thats my kind of boat

1:38 AM  
Blogger Meg Moran said...

ironic that you think of it as I boat...I often say I learn my lessons out at sea where the water is rough and I have to rely on faith, rather than on the safety of shore..... I loved your gratitude list. Thank you for sharing. I am grateful for some of the things on your list too.

5:21 PM  
Blogger dAAve said...

Well done.
Sobriety allows us to stay afloat; recovery allows us to step across the ocean.

1:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You got a big goldfish, how Kewl!

Wonderful gratitude list!

8:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God brought me to AA, AA brought me to God. They gave me my life back, & a wonderful life it is!

9:08 AM  
Blogger Trudging said...

You had a "boat" when you were drinking? I had a partially deflated air mattress, but then I am unique(-:

I like your new boat or rather our new boat.

1:59 AM  
Blogger Alcoholic Brain said...

Actually, that pic was a recent ferry ride...LOL

9:19 AM  
Blogger Most of Martha Woodroof in one place said...

Nice blog. I ditto trudging, which means--nah-hah-nah--trudging is NOT unique!!!

Nice post.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Redhead Gal said...

What a great share! Thank you!

6:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.