Alcoholic Brain

Hi and thanks for visiting. I have an alcoholic brain. I will try to post comments daily about how this alcoholic brain functions.
Sober date: October 4th, 2004.

My Photo
Name:
Location: West Coast, United States

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Rituals and a Thank you...

I would like to thank the half-nAAked blogger group for the invitation into the HNT blog. I'm very happy about it. I promise any pics I post will be tasteful. I have my totally tasteless pics on another server...LOL...This is why I'm happy about it I think. I see life as a series of rituals. The three areas of life, as I have learned are, waiting, beginning, and ending. Some things we just wait for. Waiting for graduation, love, the new arrival etc...Beginning something is a good example of when one first joins AA, starting a new career, courtship, romance, marriage etc...The ending is like closure of a loss, or a not so happy past. Without closure, it is almost impossible to move on huh? Yep. Ending something would be a divorce, funeral, retirement and so on.
These rituals are important. What I am learning in recovery is a series of rituals that help me not just stay clean and sober, but to grow spiritually beyond that. Some of my rituals that I practice are: Prayer, regular AA meeting attendance, seeing my sponsor once a week for an hour and a half for a one to one. Also on my list of rituals is to read something from the AA Big Book, even if it just a paragraph, and reading the Daily Reflections making a daily gratitude list. Blogging has become a ritual, and the half-nAAked will be also. All of these rituals I must keep doing, one day at a time.The 12 principles are also one of my rituals, as are the 12 traditions. 
ACTION, ACTION, ACTION. I saw this on Shannon's blog, and it is so true. I have done it myself, and that is Hotdogs through the keyhole.We cannot rely on prayer and meetings alone to get well. We have to get into action and get honest. We could even sit in a closet and just pray for God to shove hotdogs through the keyhole to keep us fed. That doesn't work. Prayer and action with these rituals, will reap rewards beyond our dreams.
Thank you Shannon for the keyhole post. It reminded me of the  Tea bag alcoholic. What? The tea bag alcoholic only works when it's in hot water...

I put a lot of effort into my drinking and drug use. If I can just muster 10% of that effort toward recovery, that gives me more of a chance at life today. Happy Saturday!!

4 Comments:

Blogger dAAve said...

Nice thoughts.
See half of you on Thursday ... literally. (hehe)

1:55 PM  
Blogger jake said...

great post.....love it....thanks...rituals are correct....except we call them actions in AA...stay well my friend...D

6:28 PM  
Blogger Sober @ Sundown said...

Hi Brain,

I like your list of rituals.

Hope you are doing well.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Cool ~ see you on HNT!

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.